Sunday, January 13, 2013

What is Going On Inside A BelloBorn NewAge Carrier??

I have had people ask me over the time about the internal construction of my BelloBorn NewAge Carriers and seeing that i have been on holidays, i have finally got around to taking pics of what goes on inside my Mei Tai and Half buckle carriers. I will post a separately about my full buckle in coming weeks as it is a little different but the main safety features are all the same :)

After i have cut out my both pieces of the body of the carrier, i overlock all the edges of the fabric to prevent the wrap from fraying -


I then make the straps, whether they are wrap straps or the BelloBorn NewAge Flared Strap (padded to wrap strap). Here is the NewAge flared Strap, sewn with just the right amount of cush and support.



Once i have made the straps, i attach them to one side of the carrier then sandwich them between 2 layers of fabric. I add the hood at this point as well and sew around the entire carrier then secure the straps using x-box stitching.

  
Next, i bar tack along the stress points of the strap, in addition to x-boxing for extra safety and to make sure the fabric doesn't pull in one direction and cause weakness. Bar tacking is a stitch commonly used by carrier makers but can also be found on the pockets of your favourite jeans :)


Now the strap is securely in place and ready to be top stitched, further adding strength to the carrier.



I prefer to make my waistband structure INSIDE the carrier so that the waistband remains flexible. This is personal preference but i have continued to do it this way also because of feedback i get from testers and customers alike who love my carriers


Once i have attached either buckles or mei tai straps to the waistband using x-boxing, it is threaded through and triple stitched to ensure it doesn't slip around and remains safe.


The legs out padding is sewn into the seam allowance and stitched in place with quality industrial strength thread with the rest of the top stitching.




Voila ♥ here you have a perfectly safe and gorgeous BelloBorn carrier, ready to hold your precious baby x




Making quality carriers which are safe and durable is paramount to the BelloBorn philosophy.
Much love
Heidi xx











No comments:

Post a Comment